The area around what is now the city of Escondido was first settled by native American Indian tribes. The Spanish government controlled the land from the late 1700’s to the early 1800’s, and many missions were established in the North County real estate area. When Mexico obtained its independence from Spain the land belong to Mexico. The governor of Mexico gave out large land grants for ranchos in the area with one of the largest being Rancho Rincon del Diablos. Today in Escondido, the name Rincon is often used and is found in names such as the Rincon School or the Rincon water district which serves much of the Escondido homes for sale area.
In the mid 1800’s was the war between Mexico and the United States. One of the key battles in the San Diego area was fought in the San Pasqual valley near what today is Lake Hodges. The Mexican army was led by the governor’s brother and the American army was led by Kearny, Gillespie, and Kit Carson. Again, these are all famous names around San Diego today. Near the area of the battle, is a beautiful park with picnic tables, baseball and softball fields, an Amphitheater, walking trails, a skate park and more. The park is appropriately named Kit Carson Park. Because of the origin of Escondido, the city has always had a large Spanish speaking population.